The detection is made through one or more sensing units, depending on the size of the level crossing, and it’is based on laser infrared technology adopting the principle of time of flight. A wayside control unit collects the information received by the sensing units and generates alarms based on high-level thresholds (minimum obstacle dimensions). The control unit is able to integrate LOD with the traditional level crossing protection system with complete barriers and drives and to communicate with the Interlocking System through safe interfaces.
LOD'is high reliability (SIL-4 architecture) and extreme accuracy makes it one of the most advanced on the market today, even in harsh weather conditions such as rain, snow and fog. Several trials are currently going on with European railways thanks to LOD ease of installation, flexible configuration, seamless integration with the existing signalling systems.
The focus of this system is also on the ease of installation and adaptation to the area morphology to improve the compatibility with every level crossing. At the same time there is a reduction of the sensing units to the minimum, compared to other technological solutions, and the composition of the fail-safe architecture based upon SIL4 principles, the highest level of risk reduction that can be obtained.
ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS
- Ease of installation and adaptation to the area morphology
- Number of sensing units per installation reduced to the minimum compared to other technological solutions, e.g. micro-wave radar monitoring systems
- Simple configuration for the specific geometry of level crossing
- Reliability of performance in harsh weather conditions such as rain, snow and fog
- Composite fail-safe architecture based upon SIL4 principles
- Integration with level crossing protections systems and communication to the Interlocking System (inputs from voltage-free contacts, voltage-free contact outputs, 24V DC vital outputs)
- Closed-circuit television system for visual check of the status of the area (optional).